Sunday, March 21, 2010

chemistry week 9

The ethics of "gene therapy":
On an individual case by case basis, gene therapy is miraculous. Can save the life of a loved one. And it's astonishing science. However, I can not help but be somewhat frightened by the science-fiction inspired future worse-case-scenarios it inspires in my head. What happens when genes are introduced in an environment that otherwise would not have reason to hose those genes? And what happens when those genes get 'loose' in the world? I am entirely suspicious of genetically modified food; it is easy to override this suspicion when it comes to the health of a loved one. But perhaps on a larger scale one person's health comes at the risk of the health of the larger earthly community. I am not against gene therapy, I just think it has to be done with great, great responsibility, care and oversight and, so far, I'm not convinced that is the case.

"Chemistry of LIfe" definition review:
"Biochemistry is the study of the molecules and chemical reactions of life". I like this description. Yes, life comes from molecules and chemical reactions but to me life is primary and then we can look closer at the small pieces than make the great miracle of life possible.

Animations review;
Really liked the visual of hemoglobin! This is a great reference site. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment