Saturday, February 27, 2010

chemistry week 7

Alkali Earth Metal of the week:
Ca - Calcium
Atomic Cumber: 20 (20 protons, 20 electrons)
Atomic Mass: 40 (20 neutrons)
I was just doing a little research on osteoporosis and calcium in the body so I figured this was a good chance to learn a little more about the atomic nature of calcium. It is reactive and soft compared to other metals. Calcium ions are essential for many physiological processes in the body; for example, its passage through cell membranes starts and stops chemical reactions in the nervous system, in muscles, and in exocytosis. Since its the primary mineral (or metal) in bones it is the most abundant metal in the body. Its absorption is dependent on the presence of Vitamin D in the body. In the earth, it is not found in its elemental state but rather in compounds such as calcite, dolomite and gypsum.

Report on Avogardro's Hypothesis
I want to know who did come up with the number referred to as Avogardro's number if it wasn't Avogradro after all. However, it is remarkable that he hypothesized that there was this commonality without doing any of the lab work to prove it or, rather, not having the technology to actually test it. Somewhat astounding that Avogadro hypothesized this so long before it was proven. I can't even grasp the concept and it's already been proven whereas he hypothesized it long before anyone could reinforce the ideas.

What exactly is a Mole? Review of a link:
The link was helpful in explaining a mole. But I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the whole concept. I seem to grasp it only for fleeting moments. Reading the link was another exercise in this 'light' understanding. i'm still unclear what the connection is between Avogradro and ceramic glazes...
A mole is the amount of any object equal to Avogadro's number - 6.0221367 x 10 (to 23rd power).

Update on the Chikyu Hakken Expedition:
Below is a link to the official site. Looks like they have only just begun the second phase of the drilling. They have only drilled through the top layers of the earth crust and are now preparing to go deeper. Most of the information is about earthquake patterns. The website makes it look like pure scientific inquiry...
http://www.jamstec.go.jp/chikyu/eng/Expedition/NantroSEIZE/

1 comment:

  1. What I wonder about the Chikyu Hakken Expedition is if the plan is to drill through the Earth and tectonic shift causes earthquake activity, won't drilling potentially cause earthquake activity?

    ReplyDelete