Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Week 5 posting

My (a)symmetrical world:
A few years ago I was taught a little bit of Chinese facial diagnosis. It's quite fascinating and detailed. Although not fool-proof, it can accurately reveal quite a lot about a person. As I started to look at people through this different lens, I noticed that my idea of beauty changed. Because the facial diagnosis system revealed a story (whether accurate or not) people's faces became more interesting. Features that I might otherwise ignore or dismiss as unattractive, became beautiful. The details reveal strengths and heartbreaks and challenges. A symmetrical face could be seen as more boring whereas an asymmetrical face shows a rich story.

Just what does this CP violation really mean?
Most physicists think the CP violation shows that the kaon rate of decay can distinguish past from future. The kaon's decay rate changes if time is run forward or backward. Or maybe it means that the universe might not be totally symmetrical

Are there connections between Sacred Geometry and Physics?
I think there are connections between Sacrad Geometry and Physics. The mandala, the ephiroth, kabala, the i-ching all have mathematical relationships to physics and higher dimensional math and even the structure of DNA. These systems of order are similar to Fibonacci's ratio that is used in chaos theory. I think humans can not help but replicate the order found in nature as we are part of nature. So it's not surprising that Sacred Geometry and Physics come to similar conclusions. The meaning we assign to these systems might differ - depending on time, culture, character, technology, etc. - but I do think there is some underlying order that connects these systems.

3 comments:

  1. "As I started to look at people through this different lens, I noticed that my idea of beauty changed."

    Yes! So interesting how this can happen. I love that we are not "fixed", that how we view the world can be so deeply impacted by simply looking through a different frame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is obvious that we all came to this medicine becuase we do not seethe world a symetrical, and it is so well put in you story about the facial diagnosis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's incredible about facial diagnosis. I had no idea about how certain asymmetries told such stories. It's kind of funny becuase I usually am more attracted to asymmetry and misfits. ie. the pumpkin I bought for myself for the first time now that I moved out and celebrate the festivities more than my more asian parent counterparts, I looked at length at a roadside stand and found the perfect one: more tall than squat, a little off color, and pretty lumpy. His name of course was Lumpy. This was also before I moved to the Bay Area and knew about all the weird pumpkin species. They are all perfectly round and fat in Mass.... I wonder what that's about.

    ReplyDelete